Friday, December 18, 2009

charlie brown-ish


Oh Christmas tree, Oh Christmas tree


Hunter and I went to pick out our Christmas tree on December 2 at Lowe's. They had such a beautiful selection and really good prices- we were so excited! We got our tree and loaded it up. It smelled exactly how Christmas is supposed to smell.

Here's the beautiful tree we picked out in all it's voluptuous glory. It was full and fat and looked incredible once we got all the ornaments on it. BUT.......
I noticed that it wasn't drinking water from the start. I was a good little Christmas tree keeper and checked on it everyday. The water level never went down, but I'd still fill it up a little bit in hopes that it would absorb. Before I knew it, the branches started drooping and the ornaments hanging on the lowest part of the tree were touching the ground. The needles began to fall with the slightest touch. The evergreen smell quickly faded. It wasn't bright and green. But I was in denial that it died.

Then one day, my parents came over. I said "SEE OUR TREE??? Isn't it amazing??"
Dad touched it. He replied "It's dry as a bone....."
Then mom came inside and immediately looked at the tree. She said "Um. Your tree is dead."
"NOOOOO!!!!!"
Mom explained to me that if it was worth it to make the effort, I could take all the ornaments off, load it back in my car and get my money back because LOWES GUARANTEES THEIR PLANTS AND TREES!
So I loaded it back up. The whole drive over to Lowes, I was on the verge of crying. I just felt like I was doing something wrong. I'd gotten so attached to the tree, whenever I'd look in my rear view mirror, all I saw was our precious tree and it's pine needles blowing in the wind as if it were fur from a deer I had killed for the first time.

So.
I got to Lowes. Yes, they said, this tree is dead. Here's your $28 bucks.
I took one look at their measly selection and said "I'm going to Home Depot...."
Thank goodness Home Depot still had 7 foot trees left. But there were no full, beautiful, luscious trees to choose from. My heart sank as I propped up each orphan tree and realized I was going to bring home something sad. I picked out one to the best of my ability, loaded it up and sadly drug it through our front door.
Hunter came home and forced a smile. "It's so skinny....."
"Yes, I know, Hunter...."
We put up the ornaments with frowns and all I could think about the whole time was our first tree just laying in the trunk and loading it in a buggy and leaving it behind...



So this is our new tree. Very Skinny. Very sparse. Got a little chunk missing on the right side. But after we decorated it, I stood back and stared at it for a while. I thought,
"You know, our other tree got to spend a good 2 weeks here in our living room. It listened to our praises and had a good life. So now it's time to puff up this tree's pride. If it weren't for us, this poor tree might still be out in the cold at Home Depot knowing it's rejection. Now it's inside all warm and glowy and it saved us from a possible fire cause by dry dead pine needles and hot Christmas lights..... yeah..... Now it's time for this tree to have it's glory. I couldn't stand the thought of this tree being alone on Christmas day. This is OUR tree."


So there you have it. This is the tree that saved Christmas....


:)


Merry, merry Christmas