Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Yesteray my sister joked about me being addicted to facebook. I thought.............. she's right. It's weird to admit that you can be addicted to such a thing. I just get on it and look at all my friends' pages and then look at everybody's pictures and then see how many dumb comments I can leave on people's pages and write statuses that nobody really cares about.... It's a cycle one can pathetically get sucked into!

So I was thinking about it and decided "What a lame way I spend my spare time...."

Don't get me wrong- I think facebook is great!!! It helps me keep connected with all my family and friends, it's an easy and fast way to get in touch with someone, and it's a way for you to re-connect with old friends and keep up with everyone's lives!!

But then, if you're like me, you take it to the next level of just plain addiction. I do things like promote my blog, if you will, and then turn around and say something at someone else's expense that completely cancels out things I've shared on my blog! Then you find yourself getting offended if you discover that you weren't a part of something you see others talking about, you look at pictures and compare yourself, you read statuses and judge. NOT the point of facebook.

I'm going to take a break from good ol' facebook. My goal is at least two weeks, and if it goes well, then longer. I'm hoping to accomplish during those 2 weeks to find more rewarding ways to spend my spare time. For instance, though it may sound cliche, I want/need to be fed with more intimate time with the Lord. Yeah, yeah I have my quiet time everyday, WOO HOO! But then as soon as I'm done, my thought turns to "OOO, I wonder what's new on facebook!" So I want to go deeper with that. I want my blogs to be more meaningful. I want to write new recipes. I want to take walks instead of runs so I can soak in the beauty I'm surrounded by. I want to take more pictures. I want to finish a gosh darn book for once in my life (I hate reading). I want to fall in love with music again and sit on my floor and read lyrics for hours. I want to better myself for the sake of others.... I might need way more than two weeks to do that, geesh. But after my "time off" I want to be able to have a healthy balance on facebook. When I get on, I want to breeze through, say my hi's and bye's and congrats and I'm sorry's. I don't want to fall into the linger trap and wind up losing precious time.

So *maybe* I'll be back on April 13... maybe longer, who knows!

I leave you with a song my dad used to sing to my sisters and I when we were little before he would leave to go out of town.