Monday, November 22, 2010

Thanksgiving



An interesting little tid-bit I read on Wikipedia:

"The event that Americans commonly call the first Thanksgiving was celebrated to give thanks to God for helping the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony survive their first brutal winter in New England.[2] The first Thanksgiving feast lasted three days, providing enough food for 53 pilgrims and 90 Native Americans.[3] The feast consisted of fish (cod, eels, and bass) and shellfish (clams, lobster, and mussels), wild fowl(ducks, geese, swans, and turkey), venison, berries and fruit, vegetables (peas, pumpkin, beetroot and possibly, wild or cultivated onion), harvest grains (barley and wheat), and the Three Sisters: beans, dried Indian maize or corn, and squash."





Now wouldn't you have loved to be a part of that celebration? And check out that menu- when did Turkey become the must-cook for this holiday? Oh well. I'm glad it is!


Since it is called Thanksgiving, here are things I am truly thankful for:

First and foremost, I am thankful for a God who sent His Son to be sacrificed on the cross for the sins of His children, so that we can spend eternity in Heaven. We are a mess as His children, but His grace is beautiful and perfect, as well as His love. Without His love in my heart, I would be lost and wondering about pointlessly in this world. I am thankful for the heart beating strong in my chest that does not feel a void, but a joy that is only found from knowing Him.


I am thankful for a truly beautiful man named William Hunter Lamb who loves a crazy soul like me. His talent is endless and his heart is unconditional and sometimes I can't help but think I don't deserve him. The thought of him being in love with me will continue to make me giddy until the day I die.


I am thankful for a family who has been rescued from the grasps of the enemy time and time again. I am thankful for our bond and for our endurance to throw our anchors down in the middle of a hurricane. I thank God each of us knows Him, because without Him, we would have crumbled as a united family YEARS ago.


I am thankful for the reality of Heaven and that I will one day see my beloved family members who have passed on earth again.




I encourage you to write down what you are thankful for this year. It's something we should really do on a regular basis because we tend to take things for granted. Why not start on the very holiday created for such celebrating?



Have a HAPPY and BEAUTIFUL Thanksgiving!