Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My new devo book


My sister gave me and Hunter a devo book called "Jesus Calling" for Christmas.
I typically don't do devo's because I'm a firm believer in strictly reading the Bible. I dunno why, though. It's weird. I guess I have a fear that I would come to depend more on being fed from a book rather than God's Word straight from His word.
ANWAYS.
Yesterday was a hard day. Me and Hunter are broke as a joke and our pipes are all jacked up right now. I.... um...... scooped Vito's litter into the toilet. Yup. I know, I know, DUMB IDEA. Part of the reason is due to a fear that my husband will yell at me if I throw it away in the garbage-
"Nooooo! What are you doing??? It's going to smell!!!!"
(clearly that's happened in the past)
So I was sorta being nice, but stupid at the same time.
So then I noticed that the water after I flushed the toilet started to run slower. Then it would flush, but nothing would go down. Then when I took a shower yesterday, the toilet bubbled the whole time and the water in the tub didn't drain.
All I can think about is that we have NO emergency funds and NO way of paying a plumber. On top of that, a company called "Detoxi Free" has stolen $87.87 straight from our bank account and that might as well be $300 in mine and Hunter's financial terms. But when we called them we got "Oh, no, we have no records of charging you. In order to prove that we charged your account, we need to have a hard copy of the transaction faxed to us." So we did this. Still no refund.

On top of that, Hunter's beautiful great-grandmother has suffered a heart-attack and a stroke. Strokes always get me. How can a person be up and lively one day and the next day they've had a stroke and there's no hope? Why do people even have to suffer strokes?
So you can imagine how fresh this has made my Pawpaw's loss for me. When I heard that Granny had a stroke, aaaallll the memories came flooding back to my head and I felt all that emotion all over again the very day Hunter came to me and told me Pawpaw had a stroke.

Back to Jesus Calling. I finally decided to pick it up yesterday. This is what I read:

"I WANT YOU TO LEARN A NEW HABIT. Try saying, 'I trust you, Jesus' in response to whatever happens to you. If there is time, think about who I AM in all My Power and Glory; ponder also the depth and breadth of My love for you.

This simple practice will help you see Me in every situation, acknowledging My sovereign control over the universe. When you view events from this perspective- through the Light of My universal Presence- fear loses its grip on you. Adverse circumstances become growth opportunities when you affirm your trust in Me no matter what. You receive blessings gratefully, realizing they flow directly from My hand of grace. Your continual assertion of trusting Me will strengthen our relationship and keep you close to Me."

WOW.

So that's all I have to say about that. And today's devo was just as incredible and powerful. But I won't post it because I really encourage you to go buy this book. I'm really looking forward to how the Lord is going to use it to speak to me.