Friday, May 7, 2010

When I laid my head down last night, a sense of guilt came over me. How was it that I had the privilege of sleeping in a nice cool home in a comfortable bed while there are hundreds of people outside of my home who lost everything they had and are now sleeping on the cold floor of a school gym or church? I laid there and prayed that God will pour His strength and hope and peace into these hundreds upon hundreds (thousands?) of poeple who now no longer have a house to go home to. I prayed for peace like a river to those who have lost one of the 30(ish) people who did not survive the storms and floods. But there was still such an overwhelmed feeling of desperation that is, in all honesty, hard to be hopeful about.

This morning, I read the following verse:

"So we don't look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever." -2 Corinthians 4:18
(We fix our gaze on God, who gives us hope. For the 'disaster' we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever)

"Do not fear what this day, or any day, may bring your way. Concentrate on trusting Me and on doing what needs to be done. Relax in My sovereignty, remembering that I go before you, as well as with you, into each day. Fear no evil, for I can bring good out of every situation you will ever encounter."
-today's Jesus Calling devo
That is my prayer for the the victims. I pray that this exact hope is restored in them.