Saturday, August 14, 2010

A Love Story: Piece by Piece Part 11



After having a pointless conversation with Mister Man, I decided to go down to the lower floor, closer to the stage. I was standing there with my sister waiting on the show to start. The venue was really crowded that night and I was wondering if I would get the chance to talk to Mister Man again before I left. Why had I invested so much energy into seeking this boy? Why did I think there was a molecule of a spark between us? Why did I compromise with myself to come to the show because I thought it might give him the chance to ask me to hang out? Why was there-

"Heather."

"Yeah?"

Erin put her hand on my shoulder and pointed off towards the stage.

"Look, Hunter Lamb is here."

Everything stopped. The room fell silent. There wasn't a single person around. Just me. And Hunter. The whole reason why I had even gone to the show completely took a different course and everything I had ever felt for Mister Man melted away in an instant. Erased. Vanished. Just like that, there was nothing.


I slipped back into consciousness. It was Hunter. He was talking to a guy that I had met several times at a college bible study that I had been attending. I just watched. Suddenly, everything made sense.

"You should go say hi."

"I don't know......"

"Just do it!"

and just like that, I had been pushed off towards my destiny.

I walked up to them and pretended like it wasn't Hunter I had noticed, but his friend. I patted him on the back and pulled that whole "Hey! What are you doing here?" card, but in the exact moment I did so, Hunter saw me. I will never forget the first thing he said to me.

"I've been trying to get your phone number for a month!!"

He said it with such excitement and that made me excited because that meant that he, too, had been searching for me in the apartment complex for the past month. I didn't say anything, just smiled.

"I mean....... I heard you moved to Carrington Hills and wanted to get your number because I thought it would be cool to hang out."

We caught up for a few minutes before the show started. He kept telling me he wanted to hang out, but I noticed he wasn't making an effort in getting my number so we could actually hang out. What, did he think we would just stumble across each other again? I wasn't going to let another month go by before I saw him again. I was about to go where my heart's wall forbade. There was an awkward moment of ending the conversation and trying to avoid making it seem like I had no response to his continuous 'we gotta hang out' comments, but at the same time, it's not like he was trying to get my number. So I went for it- in a classy way. I said "Let me give you my number so we can hang sometime." That a girl, Heather.

I went back to stand with Erin and she just smiled at me. The show ended and everyone began to shuffle out. Mister Man stopped me on the way out to chit chat.

Oh now you wanna talk.

So we had some more pointless conversation and Hunter passed us as he was leaving.

"Are we gonna hang?" I said.

"Yes, we gotta hang!"

"Yeah, ok, I won't believe it 'til I see it."

"We will! I'll call you!"

Did you hear that, Mister Man? He's gonna call me.

But as thrilling as my run-in was, I remembered that I was done with guys. The Lord had a big, long talk with me and I finally understood where I needed to be and was kinda excited about being single. Besides, it's not like anything in me actually believed that Hunter was going to call me. Everything in me believed that I would never see him again. And with that, I got in the car and headed home feeling content.