Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A Love Story: Piece by Piece Part 7

We talked in the living room for an hour. I sat on one end of the couch and he sat on the other. He told me all the reasons why he liked me...... What? Did he think that would seal the deal and we'd kiss? I think after he realized nothing was going to happen (keep in mind he is a college student and I'm just going into senior year) he called it a night.............. but not before one last attempt.

I gave him the benefit of walking outside to hug him goodnight. We stood on the stoop of my parents' house and he was just smiling. He would say something, then take a step closer, in response, I would take a step back. Eventually, I was pinned against the front door and his face was RIGHT NEXT to mine... I just remember him smiling. I slid my hand behind my back and placed it on the doorknob. When there was absolutely nothing else to say and I couldn't bare that mischievous smile of his and the way he kept staring into my eyes anymore, I slowly turned the doorknob.

"Well! Goodnight!"

And I walked backwards slowly into my house.

"See ya later! Thanks for taking me out!"

His smile slowly turned into a realization of "Guess I'm going home now....."

A few days after that, I went on a mission trip with my church. He called me while I was away and I just remember thinking "I don't want to talk to this boy....."

It was so strange, because I remember feeling attracted to him and that he would be a great first boyfriend, but I couldn't help running away.

When I got home, he called. And called. He called my cell phone. He called my house phone. I never called him back. My sisters shook me by my shoulders, I specifically remember Brandi questioning "What is wrong with you???? This boy is so cute!"

(my dad) "Yeah, Heather. He's a nice boy. He's a baseball player. I don't understand..."

(dad, that was cute.)

(me) "I know!! He is really cute and I like him.... but I don't like him.... I'm scared. I don't want to do this."

(Brandi) "What, are you just gonna marry the first guy you call your boyfriend???"

"I don't know. Who cares if I do?"

"Heather. You can't marry the first boy you date. No one does that.... You need to date several guys to find out what you want in a guy."

"I don't like dating. I just want to stay far away from boys."

One night after church, a big group went out to eat. One of 'boy's' (for lack of using his name) good friend came over to me and sat down.

"Heather. What are you doing?"

"Umm... I'm not sure."

"He likes you so much and you just stopped returning his calls?"

I could only look down.

"Do you like him?"

"I think so...."

"Do you want to be with him?"

"I don't think so....."

"Well then you should have told him that. Instead, you just stopped talking to him. You really hurt him."

And he walked away. I felt so ashamed. I tried to email him about a week before he left to go back to school. I told him that I really did like him and that if he would forgive me, I'd want to try to make it work out. The email bounced back. I took that as a sign.

I started my last year of high school and after sitting in class for a week, I quit. I couldn't stand Centennial. The kids were superficial. The teachers were superficial. The vibe was superficial.

Time out- I'm giving you an example. My sister did not go back to Centennial her junior year. She was now a student at a small private school called Franklin Classical. And just because she wasn't going to Centennial anymore, students started a rumor that it was because she got pregnant and was embarrassed to go back. MMMMAAAAANNNNNNN I hated that school.

Junior year, I skipped every pep rally, never went to a football game, never dressed for spirit day. It was senior year!!! Now, more than ever, you're supposed to make sure you're a part of EVERY school event!! But I was the exact opposite. I needed to be far, far away from that place. By the grace of God, my parents let me home school. Ha, I didn't even say bye to a single classmate. I was outta there. When I told my best friend, she cried................ and cried.................... and cried. Then she quit, too. We both took the bare minimum amount of classes needed to graduate and worked our tails off earning money for college.

First half of senior year was great. I was "crush free" and all I cared about was working, hanging out with church friends, and my BFF. I couldn't believe I had gone half of my senior year without caring about some guy! Then one night, I'm sitting in church. One of the senior guys gets up there and just preaches it.

I quickly decided that I liked him.

Here we go again......