Monday, August 30, 2010

Tennessee, you've been good to me


One day I went driving out in the country to get my mind off a few things (mostly my lost Vito) and stumbled across this beautiful abandoned church.


It sat right on a creek, and I can only imagine the baptisms that have taken place there.

I really wanted to open that old shed and see what treasures I could find, but I got scared!

Wouldn't you love to go back in time and sit in on a service in such a humble little church?

This is a road out in Fairview that was so pretty.

Pepper in a box.

Beautiful roses that Hunter got me for our 3rd anniversary.

The name of this restaurant is so silly, but it serves some down-home cooking on old-fashioned eating ware. We loved it!

These next pictures are from the Sweet Tea festival. We had such a good time!

We're all waiting in line to taste-test a varieties of sweet tea and judge our favorite. Kasen is saying "sweet teeeaaaa!!!!"

Hunter and his redneck tank.

sisters!




A John Deere ice cream maker!


Ready to ride the train! This is the same one Kasen ran away on at the Country Ham festival...

oh dear.....
oh dear....
oh dear....

I'm gonna live here when I retire.

The festival was held on the beautiful property of the historic Homestead Manor. I can't wait to go again next year!

The next pictures are from the Hermitage, Andrew Jackson's home.
Andrew Jackson and his wife bought a cabin on this 1200 acre property in 1804. Jackson built the mansion in 1837 to retire to after his term as president. I was overwhelmed to tour a piece of 200 year old history!! It was completely fascinating.

I couldn't really get a good shot of the front of the home, but this is the original entrance to the Hermitage.




Jackson had these trees planted, so they're over 100 years old and still standing!!

This is the back of the mansion. Hunter looks to tiny!

The entrance to the garden where the family all rest in peace.


The view of the home from the garden.






Where our country's 7th president and his wife lay to rest.

The family headstones






another view from the back of the home


One of the many cabins where the slaves lived. This particular cabin belonged to Jackson's most beloved caretaker. He was born and raised here and served the home until the day he died and is buried in the family cemetery.


The main water source for the mansion.

Jackson's cotton fields


This is the Tulip Grove mansion that belonged to Jackson's nephew. It is also on the same land, but we didn't get to tour it- we missed the tour times! I was bummed about that.

a church that was built on a donated piece of Jackson's land

This is the Donelson family cemetery (Jackson's nephew) and there is also a confederate soldier cemetery to the right (not pictured).

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to take pictures inside Jackson's home, but I'm sure you believe me when I say it's truly breathtaking. I highly recommend touring the Hermitage!