Wednesday, December 15, 2010

special Christmas memories



I have to say, I can't believe this will be the 4th Christmas Hunter and I will spend together as husband and wife! And they just keep getting better... and better...... and, well, you know. I will always remember our first humble little Christmas together in our 500 square foot apartment. We had only been married for 4 months. We loved that little place. One, it was cozy and two, it had a wood-burning fire place. I remember on Christmas eve, I was rushing around trying to find snacky foods to bring to my parents' house on Christmas day because I had forgotten I needed to bring some. The ONLY place open at that point in the evening was K-mart (do people still really shop there???). The weather was frigid and I was stressed after driving all around town. Once in the store, their shelves were about wiped out and the only thing I found was some summer sausage, a block of cheese and crackers. I stomped up the stairs to our apartment in a horrible mood at that point and when I opened the door, Hunter had a surprise waiting for me. There was wood in the fire place, burning a glowing fire and he had bought all the iron tools to build/tame a fire. It was the first time there was a fire burning in our apartment and I pretty much dropped my grocery bags and teared up. We snuggled up under a blanket with some hot chocolate and spent the rest of the evening by our fireplace. It was the perfect first Christmas with my husband.

Last Christmas, he went ring shopping with one of his close friends. His friend was on a mission to buy an engagement ring and Hunter was on a mission to get me a blue sapphire ring. Both boys were successful!! I was so surprised to open my little ring box from Jared on Christmas morning :)

I married such an amazing man!

Last night, we made another special memory. We had our nephews over to open their gifts from us because they leave for Arizona on friday and Hunter and I will be in Dallas on Christmas. I made a big pot of white chicken chili, mexican spoon bread and brownies with buttercream frosting. Kevin and my parents joined us, as well. We sat around the table, sipping wine and talking. Every 2 or 3 minutes, the boys asked "when are we gonna open presents?" After dinner, I served hot chocolate and spiced tea and the boys opened their presents! When my parents and Kevin had gone home for the night, the boys changed into their pj's and I made a big pallet on the floor. Me, Hunter and the boys (plus sweet-face Chase and little Bella boo) turned on Home Alone. It's always so sweet to have everyone snuggling by the pretty Christmas tree, watching a movie. We all slept in a little late this morning! I made blueberry muffins and served yogurt and fresh oranges. Then we realized it was 8:05 and for the next 20 minutes, we ran around trying to get out the door, JUST like the scene in Home Alone. It was pretty funny :)


This afternoon, I had to pick up the older boys from school early because of weather conditions. Me and Kasen were in the car and The Carpenters' "Merry Christmas, Darling" came on the radio. Kasen asked me the sweetest little question.

"Aunt Hea-yer, how you marry Christmas?"

"Ooohhh, buddy, that's not what they mean! When they sing 'merry' they mean 'happy' kinda like happy Christmas."

"Oh."

(silence.)

"But they mean you can marry Santa Claus?"

"No, no. Kasen, not that kind of marry. They are talking about merry, which means happy."

"Oh. 'Cause I can't marry Santa Claus 'cause he a boy?"

"Right...... That's exactly right."


I will never forget that conversation.